CSE Internship Program
Learning to Engage the World
The Center for Sustainability Education (CSE) Internship Program employs students to work on projects to advance sustainability at Dickinson. CSE hires up to ten paid interns each semester and four in the summer, while also hosting academic credit-interns, research assistants, and volunteers. All of our paid internship positions also provide students with a transcript notation of their experience. Interns work an average of 10 hours per week for 12-14 weeks each semester. Check out this intern-produced video that highlights the CSE Internship program and some of its benefits:
Positions vary by semester, but during the academic year we recruit for the following:
- Biking@Dickinson: Management of The Handlebar (our campus bicycle co-operative), coordination of biking listserve, Bike to Farm Potluck, and bike storage.
- Waste Minimization: Education and communication of our recycling and composting programs, developing programs to green move-in & move-out, data collection.
- Eco-Reps Supervisor: Manages 25 volunteer student leaders working to incorporate sustainability into residential life at Dickinson.
- Communications: Expanding campus-wide knowledge of sustainability initiatives through social media, newsletters, awareness campaigns and video production.
- Events Coordinator: Coordinating campus-wide educational programming surrounding Dickinson sustainability programming.
- Biodiesel Production Assistant: Production and education of Biodiesel technology on campus from waste vegetable oil.
While each student maintains and enhances the tasks for their position, our internship program is committed to a collaborative setting in which multiple interns work together to initiate and complete college-wide objectives.
Things to know about CSE internships:
HOURS for interns will not exceed 10/week during the academic year and 40/week for summer internships.
PAID interns will be compensated based on commensurate job experience on campus and paid bi-weekly. Students who do an internship for academic credit will not receive pay. Work-study & non work-study students accepted.
QUALIFIED students who have experience as a Dickinson Eco-Rep or as a previous CSE Intern will be given priority, but students of all majors with a passion for sustainability are welcomed to apply. Previous interns must re-apply every semester.
BENEFITS include research workspace in newly renovated Center for Sustainability Education, Kaufman 197, many opportunities for professional development and 24/7 access to CSE resource library.
The deadline to apply for Fall 2013 CSE Internships, Eco-Reps, PCES & CSE Steering Committee is:
April 15, 2013.
All positions can be applied for in one application.
- DOWNLOAD CSE FALL 2013 APPLICATION HERE (Internships, Eco-Reps, PCES, CSE Steering Com.)
- DOWNLOAD FALL 2013 POSITION DESCRIPTIONS HERE (Internships, Eco-Reps, PCES, CSE Steering Com.)