Baird Sustainability Fellows: Class of 2014
Honoring Excellence in Sustainability Through Academics and Service
In October 2013, seniors from all majors and all academic divisions were invited to apply for candidacy as Baird Sustainability Fellows, a college-wide honors program. The Baird Sustainability Fellows program recognizes graduating seniors who have advanced sustainability goals on or beyond the Dickinson campus through excellence in scholarship, leadership and service. This college-wide honor, named for Spencer Fullerton Baird, a prominent naturalist of the 19th century and Dickinson alumnus and professor, is in its second year.
Seven Class of 2014 applicants met
the rigorous standards of the honor, as determined by an
interdisciplinary selection committee, and were accepted to participate in
the half-credit Baird Honors Colloquium. The Spring 2014 colloquium will be a unique, interdisciplinary course focused on collaborative projects, advancing student research and professional interests, and building skills for a sustainable world.
Selection of candidates, and award of the Baird Sustainability Fellow honor, was decided on the following criteria:
• Attainment of advanced level sustainability competencies and dispositions through academic work, practice and service.
• Evidence of a substantial scholarly or service project of exceptional quality, significance and impact that is related to sustainability.∗
• Demonstrated leadership in advancing sustainability goals of a campus or community group.
• High scholastic achievement, as evidenced by a 3.4 or higher GPA.
• Character and behavior that exemplify the values of civic responsibility, environmental stewardship, social justice and global perspective.
Dickinson Announces Class of 2014 Baird Sustainability Fellows
Molly Anderson, English Major
Emily Bowie, Environmental Science Major
Christine Burns, Environmental Science Major
Kendra Haven, International Studies (Globalization & Sustainability) Major & English Minor
Anna McGinn, Environmental Studies Major
Sam Pollan, Environmental Studies Major
Yuzhi Xi, Biology & Environmental Science Major
For questions about the program and application process for this award, please contact:
The Center for Sustainability Education (CSE), Kaufman 190
Neil Leary, Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, 717.245.1954
Lindsey Lyons, Assistant Director, email@example.com, 717.245.1117