Flu Symptoms Come on Suddenly and Include:
- Sudden severe fever (>101 for seasonal and 100 for H1N1) and
- Dry cough, may be severe and painful
- Muscle aches
- Sore throat
- may also have nausea, vomiting and diarrhea with H1N1.
- Wash hands, wash hands, wash hands!!!!!!
- Use alcohol based hand sanitizers if soap and water are not readily available.
- Get extra sleep to boost your immune system.
- Stay away from alcohol which decreases your immune system.
- Avoid individuals who may be infected.
- The flu is a virus, antibiotics DO NOT KILL VIRUSES!
Antiviral medication will be perscribed for those at high risk for complications and must be started within the first 48 - 72 hours.
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil) if you are not allergic or have underlying kidney or liver disorders, to control fever.
- Do not take aspirin if you are under the age of 20
- Drink extra fluids
- Get extra sleep
- No alcohol
- Do not go to classes if you have a fever, you will be contagious.
If you are under 20 years of age, DO NOT take aspirin products - use Tylenol or a non aspirin product!