Dickinson’s institutional policies for the Institutional Biosafety Committee require that committee members and researchers undertake training so that a) research protocols may be appropriately reviewed for risk and b) researchers minimize risk in the course of conducting their research or classroom protocol. These committee-specific policies allow Dickinson to remain compliant with federal regulations which require such training.
A New Training Resource: The Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI)
CITI offers web-based Biosafety training courses, plus specialized courses for Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR), which have been designed by a collaboration of some 3000 universities, colleges, government agencies and other entities. These courses meet federal as well as Dickinson’s policy requirements. Each CITI course provides bibliographic and other resources which could be incorporated into faculty teaching and research mentoring. The courses contain required as well as optional modules, so this tool can be customized by the faculty researcher to meet the needs of different disciplines or individual projects. It is also possible, if a faculty member desires, to create additional original content.
Download the login instructions. (use your network ID and password)
Go directly to Dickinson’s CITI Training Site.
Have a question? Check the CITI Q & A. (use your network ID and password)
Still not sure which training you need to take or where to find it on the Dickinson website? Consult the Research Training Finder (use your network ID and password).
Info for All Learners
* Make sure your email address is correct and you enter your BANNER ID under “employer ID.”
* You may stop and continue your training at any time. Just login again to http://www.CITIprogram.org
* Note that the overall grade for the CITI RCR course must be 80% for it to be considered a successful completion. You may retake the quizzes as often as necessary to attain the required mastery level.
* When you are finished, the CITI Course Completion Report will be automatically be fowarded to the IBC Chair. You may save a copy of the report for your own files.
Deadline Info for Students
1. Students engaged in summer collaborative research under biosafety research protocols
* You may start the course any time after you and your faculty member agree to collaborate and your faculty mentor has assigned the appropriate course(s). If you are a summer collaborative research student, you have until end of the first week after the start of the project to complete the course and turn in the certification forms.
* Your faculty mentor may specify that you take certain optional courses.
* The Committee currently sees no need for the student to retake the training once the course has been taken.
2. Students engaged in collaborative research during the academic year involving biosafety research protocols
* For the training to be effective and useful, students should undertake the training prior to their involvement with the laboratory protocol. Precisely how and when the training is taken is left to discretion of each faculty member.
3. Students engaged in classroom work involving biosafety classroom protocols. CITI Training is not required, however:
* The instructor will require you to take Lab Safety, Bloodborne Pathogen (BBP) and other training at this link.
* The instructor may require you to take certain CITI modules. For the training to be effective and useful, students should undertake the training prior to the initiation of the classroom laboratory. Precisely how and when the training is taken is left to discretion of each faculty member.
Deadline Info for Faculty PIs
* Faculty PIs should begin the training immediately.
* Faculty/PIs with new protocols must take the training prior to conducting the protocol.
* Faculty/PIs who are also IBC members: training modules taken solely for IBC membership will “count” when training modules for PIs are also taken. A course cross-listed in another group will not need to be taken twice.
* The Committee currently sees no need for the faculty member/PI to retake the training once the course has been taken.
Deadline Info for IBC Committee Members
* Committee members should begin the training immediately upon initiation of their term of service to the Committtee. Retraining will be required after three years of committee service.
Overview of CITI Training Requirements for Biosafety . (use your network ID and password)