Dickinson’s institutional policies for the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) require that committee members and researchers undertake training so that a) research protocols may be appropriately reviewed for risk and b) researchers minimize risk in the course of conducting their research or classroom protocol. These committee-specific policies allow Dickinson to remain compliant with federal regulations which require such training.
A New Training Resource: The Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI)
CITI offers web-based IACUC and animal care and use training courses which have been designed by a collaboration of some 3000 universities, colleges, government agencies and other entities. These courses meet federal as well as Dickinson’s policy requirements. Each CITI course provides bibliographic and other resources which could be incorporated into faculty teaching and research mentoring. The courses contain required as well as optional modules, so this tool can be customized by the faculty researcher to meet the needs of different disciplines or individual projects. It is also possible, if a faculty member desires, to create additional original content.
Download the login instructions. (use your network ID and password)
Go directly to Dickinson’s CITI Training Site.
Have a question? Check the CITI Q & A. (use your network ID and password)
Still not sure which training you need to take or where to find it on the Dickinson website? Consult the Research Training Finder (use your network ID and password) or see the IACUC Q&A.
* Make sure your email address is correct and you enter your BANNER ID under “employer ID.”
* You may stop and continue your training at any time. Just login again to http://www.CITIprogram.org
* Note that the overall grade for the CITI RCR course must be 80% for it to be considered a successful completion. You may review the course materials and retake the quizzes as often as necessary to attain the required mastery level.
* When you are finished, the CITI Course Completion Report will be automatically be fowarded to the IACUC Chair. You may save a copy of the report for your own files.
Deadline Info for Students
* You may start the course any time after you and your faculty member agree to collaborate and your faculty mentor has assigned the appropriate course(s). If you are a summer collaborative research student, you must complete the course and turn in the certification forms PRIOR to starting your work in the lab.
* Your faculty mentor may specify that you take certain optional courses.
* The Committee currently sees no need for the student to retake the training once the course has already been taken.
Deadline Info for Faculty PIs
* Faculty/PIs should begin the training immediately.
* Faculty/PIs with new protocols must take the training prior to conducting the protocol.
* Faculty/PIs who are also IACUC members: training modules taken solely for IACUC membership will “count” when training modules for PIs are also taken. A course cross-listed in another learner group will not need to be taken twice.
* The Committee currently sees no need for faculty/PIs to retake the training once the course has already been taken.
Deadline Info for IACUC Committee Members
* Committee members must begin the training immediately upon beginning their term of service to the Committee.
* Retraining will be required after three years of committee service.
Overview of Dickinson's CITI Training Requirements for Animal Care and Use (use your network ID and password)