Psychology Department Guidelines for Research Transcript Notation (REXP) and Internship Notations
Research Transcript Notation (REXP)
As defined by the Science Executive Committee:
“A research experience in which the principal activity and focus is original investigation designed to create new knowledge in a recognized field of inquiry may qualify for the REXP notation.”
Proposed Psychology Department Guidelines/Criteria for REXP
In order for students to receive the REXP notation approved by the Psychology Department, students must satisfactorily complete a part/full-time (normally at least 80 hours in length) research experience in an area of psychological science (broadly defined). Research experiences can be completed during the fall, spring or summer. The Psychology Department Chair will contact the student’s immediate supervisor in order to verify that the research experience was satisfactorily completed. Research experiences can either be paid or not.
Experiences that are primarily practice-focused or service-oriented in nature will not receive the REXP notation. Rather, these types of work experiences may qualify for the Internship Notation Program (see below); students with questions about the Internship Notation Program should contact Amity Fox (email@example.com) in the Career Center.
Examples of the types of research experiences that would qualify for the REXP notation include (though not limited to):
1.Student/Faculty research conducted during the summer at Dickinson College
2.Off-campus research at another college/university
3.Involvement in the National Science Foundation’s Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program
Tentative New Process for Receiving REXP
· At the beginning of the experience (semester or summer), student will complete a “registration” through the Student Forms tab in Gateway (much like they do for internships). That form will collect demographic information and have a box for the student to input a 500-1000 word proposal/description of the research experience.
· Once the proposal is submitted, the department chair will review the proposal and indicate whether the experience is appropriate for the REXP notation.
· After the initial approval, student will be able to access documents about the abstract and reflective statement via the Student Forms tab in Gateway.
· At the end of the experience, student will submit the abstract and reflective statement via the Student Forms tab in Gateway; department chair will read and review them, and mark them as complete (or not complete) in the system.
· After the student has completed the necessary components for the notation and receives final approval from the department chair, the information will be sent to the Registrar’s Office for the notation to be processed.
Internship Notation Program
Proposed Psychology Department Guidelines/Criteria for Internship Notation
Work experiences that are primarily practice-focused or service-oriented in nature would qualify for the Internship Notation Program (for more information go to: http://www.dickinson.edu/student-life/resources/career-center/content/student/Internship-Program---Resources---Transcript-Notation-Program/). Examples of the types of work experiences that would qualify for the Internship Notation Program may include (though not limited to):
1.Work at a counseling center
2.Program development for a community-based organization
3.Work with a school psychologist at a local school
Process for Receiving Internship Notation
The Career Center supervises and approves the Internship notation. Students register for the program through the Student Forms tab in Gateway and work with the Internship Coordinator throughout the duration of the experience. The Psychology Department does not administer the Internship Notation program.